Good morning folks! I'm waist high in packing boxes today so the beautiful and oh-so-talented Kali from The Vintage Milk House is taking over the blog today to share an amazing chair transformation! Take it away Kali-
I'm so glad to be popping over from The Vintage Milk House again to share with all of you Newlyweds on a Budget readers.
Thanks again Kari for allowing me to steal your stage for the day!
Earlier this year my sister Cassie graduated from Cosmetology School. Wahoo!
Now she is in the process of starting up her own salon in her house.
One of the first items she got for her salon were a pair of stylist chairs.
Not in terrible shape but she was eager to personalize this one for her salon and give it a fresh updated look. So she asked her big sister to help her out. So this weekend I showed up with my drill and staple gun ready to tackle this chair! Our plan was to paint all of the metal and re-apolster the bottom seat cushion as well as the back cushion. We decided to leave the arm rests alone because they were in pretty good shape and I thought the contract of her fabric with the brown would look best. (Plus, I'll be honest, I was terrified to work with that arm rest!)
She picked up this AWESOME fabric @ Joanne's -
It's a zebra print with black, sliver and a touch of brown.
Off to the races!
We started off rubbing the base with steel wool to even out the rust spots and edges
to get it ready for the primer.
While she was working on the base, I started disasembling the chair.
This is what years of cutting hair will do to your chair...YUCK!!!! At this point we couldn't stop laughing about the ridiculousness of us disasembling this old chair on her front step. We were pretty certain anyone driving by thought we were insane!
We also decided to remove the rubber piece around the foot pump. It was not looking so hot...
Since the wind was picking up and was whipping the plastic in our faces, we moved into the garage to start spray painting the primer on the base as well as the cage that holds the seat. Probably safer place!
We used a basic Krylon primer.
After two coats of primer we started working on re-apolostering the seat cushion. My staple gun has three prongs and most of her outlets in her house only have two so we took the seat cushion to the hallway next to her bathroom. Figures. So here we are on the floor crammed in the hallway, trying to lay out this fabric, cut it and not bang our heads together!
We laid out the fabric and cut around approximately 6"from the edge of the cushion. It was then that we realized we really weren't sure what we were doing! Sitting on the floor, staple gun in hand, we finally watched a Youtube video and got to cracking.
Tip: Start by stapling one staple on each of the four sides and then work
the fabric by pulling it tight from the first staple.
Finally after lots of chocolate, a bit of arguing and lots of laughing, we went back to spray the color.
Cassie picked a Satin Nickel from the Brushed Metallic line @ Krylon. LOVE it!
We let that dry overnight, and the next day we finished
everything off with the Shimmering Silver also from Krylon.
This stuff is AWESOME! I wasn't so sure about it at first but ended up falling in LOVE! It has the perfect amount of shimmer and also helped hide a few imperfections along the way!
We still had to finish the back cushion which was smaller and a bit curved;
that did serve to be a bit more challenging. But between some more chocolate and a little bit of sisterly aggravation, we nailed it! (Okay, more like stapled it!)
Finally we were able to start reassembling... :)
I'm so excited for my sister as she builds her business...
Stop on by The Vintage Milk House for upcoming updates on her new salon!!!
WOW! It turned out absolutely gorgeous! I can't get over how great it looks! And I can't wait to see how the rest of her Salon turns out-be sure to check out Kali's blog The Vintage Milk House for even more fun projects!